The purpose of the Science Technical Advisory Panel (STAP) is to advise the North Slope Science Oversight Group on issues such as identifying and prioritizing inventory, monitoring and research needs, and providing other scientific advice as requested by the Oversight Group.
The Science Technical Advisory Panel consists of a representative group of not more than 15 scientists and technical experts from diverse professions and interests, including the oil and gas industry, subsistence users, Alaska Native entities, conservation organizations, and academia, as determined by the Secretary of the Interior. The members are selected from among, but not limited to, the following disciplines: North Slope traditional and local knowledge, landscape ecology, petroleum engineering, civil engineering, geology, botany, hydrology, limnology, habitat biology, wildlife biology, remote sensing, biometrics, sociology, cultural anthropology, economics, ornithology, oceanography, fisheries biology, and climatology.
The Executive Director, North Slope Science Initiative serves as the Designated Federal Officer of the Science Technical Advisory Panel.
The duties of the STAP are solely advisory to the Oversight Group, which will give direction to the STAP regarding priorities for decisions needed for the Department of the Interior’s management. Duties include the following:
- Advise the Oversight Group on science planning and relevant research and monitoring projects;
- Advise the Oversight Group on scientific information relevant to the Oversight Group’s mission;
- Review ongoing scientific programs of North Slope Science Initiative (NSSI) member organizations on the North Slope at the request of the member organizations to promote compatibility in methodologies and compilation of data;
- Periodically review the North Slope Science Plan and provide recommendations for changes to the Oversight Group;
- Provide recommendations for proposed NSSI funded inventory, monitoring and research activities to the Oversight Group;
- Provide other scientific advice as requested by the Oversight Group; and
- Coordinate with groups and committees appointed or requested by the Oversight Group to provide science advice, as needed.